Get A Hefty Serving of Protein and Fiber
A south of the border blend of textures and flavors that’s versatile. Serve hot as a main dish with grilled meat or chicken or eat as a side dish.
Ingredients: yields 6 servings
- 6 C. cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ C. red onion, chopped
- ½ C. cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ Tsp. salt
- ¼ Tsp. ground pepper
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- Cook brown rice.
- Combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Place a scoop of hot rice in a bowl and top with a generous scoop of the black bean mixture.
Nutritional Information: 1 Serving
Calories 396.4 Total Fat 5.4g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 203mg; Total Carbohydrate 78g; Dietary Fiber 11g; Sugars 6.1g; Protein 12.4 g
Access Your A Healthier You™ Portal
Did you know the new A Healthier You portal creates a plan unique to you to help achieve your health and wellness goals? Personalized Care Plans use data from your claims as well as the personalized goals you set when you became a member.
Care Plans Can Improve Your Health and Fitness
Much like a roadmap, your Care Plan is designed to guide you through the process of meeting your health and fitness goals and closing gaps in your care.
You can also add your fitness device to keep you on track with your Care Plan and even earn points for filling prescriptions within designated Care Plans.
Access your A Healthier You portal today to view your Care Plan!
- Go to MyBlueKC.com.
- Log in using your member login and password.
- Click on the “Go to A Healthier You” blue button on the right-hand side of your member portal.
- On your homepage you will see your Care Plans.
- Click “Configure Now” under the Care Plan you would like to activate (if you do not select this option, you will not earn points for completing actions in your Care Plans).
Connect With Your Body’s Cues
If you are changing your approach to eating, consider making a difference in how much you eat, what you choose to eat and how your body digests food. Take note of these mindful eating tips and start a path to healthy, happy eating.
Myths about Stretch Marks
Stretch marks, or in medical terms, “striae,” have a tendency to occur on the abdomen, thighs, breasts and armpits. There are many myths circulating. It isn’t just an issue after pregnancy.
Sudden weight loss or gain commonly causes stretch marks.
Male athletes and body builders are more prone to stretch marks due to severe stretching.
Stretch marks are difficult to treat. There are topical solutions and dermatological procedures that can lighten and improve their appearance, but stretch marks cannot be eliminated completely.
Hygge (pronounced hoo-ga) is a Danish word used to describe a mood or feeling that comes from taking pleasure in ordinary, everyday moments. It’s about being mindful of your surroundings and creating a quality of coziness and comfort in your home. The next time the ordinary feels extraordinary, that’s when you know you’ve hygged.
Bring cozy to the kitchen with these items:
- A round table and tablecloth
- A teakettle and mugs with saucers
- Low lighting preferably via candle light
- An apron and warm slippers