Summer Freshness at its Best
Celebrate the last vestiges of summer with this quick and easy summer staple. It’s light on calories, refreshing and goes with everything from chicken to fish.
Ingredients: yields 6 servings
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 Tsp. honey
- ½ Tsp. salt
- ½ Tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh herbs, parsley, chives and/or tarragon
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper. Put dressing aside.
- Chop tomato, cucumber and onion into small chunks. Place in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the chopped vegetables and toss to coat.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour or refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Toss with herbs just before serving.
Nutritional Information: Serving size 1½ cups
Calories 66; Fat 3g; Fiber 2g; Carbohydrates 10g; Protein 2g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sugar 7g; Calcium 31mg; Iron 1mg; Sodium 204mg; Potassium 361mg
Identify Health Actions Left to Take
To get the most from your health plan, we have tools to help you on your path to healthy living. Complete your Care Plans and individual Health Actions on the A Healthier You™ portal!
Access your personalized A Healthier You™ portal to take advantage of these programs to earn points, enter monthly sweepstakes to win gift cards and help you meet your wellness goals.
Register on the portal and complete the personalization questionnaire. Haven’t yet registered on the A Healthier You portal? Learn how here.
- Configure a Care Plan and start earning points. Learn how here.
- Take a Health Risk Assessment.
- Schedule a preventive health exam.
- Get a flu shot.
- And more!
Download the new Blue KC A Healthier You app on your smartphone device for easy access to your A Healthier You™ portal.
Tips to Prevent Acne Flare-ups
Some women outgrow teen acne, others continue to experience flare-ups into their 30s, 40s and beyond. Try these lifestyle tips for prevention.
- Get seven to eight hours of sleep.
- Limit your dairy intake because the hormones in cow’s milk can cause breakouts.
- Eat fruits rich in antioxidants to help your face heal faster from an outbreak.
- Change your pillowcase daily to remove bacteria or leftover makeup residue.
Retail Telehealth is Fast and Easy
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City (Blue KC) has partnered with American Well (Amwell) to provide care whenever and wherever you are.
Retail Telehealth Benefits
- Schedule and see a doctor from your phone, tablet or computer
- Access from your home, the office, or while traveling
- Available 24/7
- Sessions are secure and private
Get Started Today
- Download the Amwell Mobile App directly to your smart phone or tablet.
- Enroll by creating an account using your Blue KC insurance information.
- Select from a list of doctors.
- Engage in a secure live video visit.