Celebrate Thanksgiving with this Heart-Healthy Dessert
The aroma of these baked apples will leave your mouth watering. Enjoy the yummy taste of apple pie without the crust and save the calories for the turkey!
Ingredients: yields 4 servings
- 4 apples (Rome or Honey Crisp)
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 c. white wine
- Nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- Cut out the stems and core of the apples, but leave the bottoms intact.
- Transfer to an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
- Fill each apple with 1 tbsp. brown sugar. Sprinkle cinnamon over apples.
- Pour wine around the apples, cover with foil and bake 1 hr.
- Cool before topping with a scoop of nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt.
Nutritional Information: serving size: 1 apple
Calories 138; Total Fat 0g; Carbohydrates 26g; Fiber 5g; Sodium 4mg; Potassium 220mg
November is Dedicated to Diabetes
Diabetes is an ever-growing disease impacting millions of Americans. Early detection and intervention can minimize the risk of complications of diabetes.
- Nearly 30 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes.
- 86 million Americans have prediabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
While these symptoms can signal you may have diabetes or be prediabetic, only a doctor can make a diagnosis. Consult with your doctor to see if you should be screened for diabetes.
|SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES|
|Urinating Often||Feeling Very Thirsty||Feeling Very Hungry- Even Though You Are Eating||Extreme Fatigue|
|Blurry Vision||Cuts/Bruises that are Slow to Heal||Weight Loss- Even though You are Eating More (type 1 Diabetes)||Tingling, Pain, or Numbness in the Feet/Hands (type 2 Diabetes|
Kick Your Addiction
Recent research reveals that sugar can do more damage than just expanding your waistline. It can cause addiction-like symptoms leaving you craving sweets all day.
Kick Sugar in Three Steps
To better understand your addiction, locate how much sugar is in your diet by reading the nutrition labels. Try this method for tracking your sugar intake:
- Make a clean break - Keep track of your sugar intake for one week. Then eliminate the main contributor.
- Boost your brain naturally - Substitute healthier foods like frozen fruits or fresh vegetables.
- Let “80/20” work for you - Make at least 80 percent of your choices healthy ones, leaving 20 percent wiggle
room for splurges that help you feel satisfied.
Knowing Where to Seek Medical Treatment
Making the best decision on where to seek treatment quickly and efficiently can save you valuable time and money. Outlined below are options for seeking medical treatment.
Primary Care Doctor - For medical care that’s not an emergency, call your doctor for an appointment. If you receive care from an emergency room or an urgent care center, notify your doctor so they are aware of your current health status.
Urgent Care and Walk-In Clinics - Situations requiring prompt medical attention, but are not life threatening, can be treated by qualified professionals in an urgent care or walk-in clinic. Hours are generally extended during evenings, weekends and holidays.
Emergency Room - For some situations, the emergency room is the only option. Remember you should always call 911 for heart attack or stroke symptoms.
Use the Doctor and Hospital Finder on MyBlueKC.com to search for a primary care doctor, hospitals, pharmacies, walk-in clinics and urgent care centers in your area and network.
And if you need help in deciding where to go for medical care, dial the Blue KC 24-Hour Nurse Line at
877-852-5422 to speak with a registered nurse. Care Advisors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Serious and Life-Threatening Diseases
Diagnoses like cancer and other life-threatening illnesses most always require immediate treatment. Taking time to learn about your disease and options will give you a greater sense of control.
Confirm the diagnosis - A second and even third opinion will ensure the first doctor’s opinion is correct and can leave you feeling confident that you have chosen the most appropriate treatment for your particular situation.
Tell your doctor you’re seeking a second opinion - It’s advantageous to have the experts openly discuss the areas of agreement and disagreement. Plus, you’ll need your medical records and any pathology slides or other test results to give to whoever is giving the second opinion.
*Review your Blue KC plan before seeking any treatment or second opinion, so you know exactly what will be covered.