Just in Time for Cinco de Mayo
This heart healthy snack can be eaten any time of the year, but now there’s a reason to celebrate. Like it hot? Then leave the seeds in the jalapeno. Serve with whole-wheat or baked tortilla chips to save on fat and calories.
Ingredients: yields 4 servings
- 1 1/2 tbsp. coarsely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper
- 1 ripe peeled avocado
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- Place first five ingredients in a food processor; pulse five times or until finely chopped.
- Add avocado, process until smooth.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
Note: Spread a layer of guacamole on oven-baked tostadas and top with grilled chicken and pico de gallo for an easy meal.
Nutritional Information: serving size: about 1/4 cup
Calories 85; Fat 7.7g; Saturated fat 1.2g; Monounsaturated fat 4.8g; Polyunsaturated fat1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Carbohydrates 4.8g; Protein 1.1g; Sodium 77mg; Calcium 9mg; Fiber 2.7g; Iron .6mg
Remember, avocado has “healthy fat” which can lower bad cholesterol and is all-around beneficial for your health when consumed in moderation. ~ Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Cover Up or Use Sunscreen
Memorial Day typically signals the beginning of the pool season and summer. In light of warm weather and sunshine, it’s a good idea to protect yourself and family from harmful effects of the sun’s rays. Post this infographic where you’ll be reminded to lather up with sunscreen before you step outside.
Improve Your Sleep
Do you have difficulty falling asleep? Do you wake up frequently during the night? Do you wake too early in the morning? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you’re not getting the amount of sleep you need.
Some of the causes of insomnia are: stress, anxiety and depression. If you feel your sleep is impacted by any of these elements, speak to your doctor about the best treatment for you.
- Stimulus Control Therapy - works to create a healthy sleep environment.
- Cognitive Therapy - patient develops positive thoughts and beliefs about sleep.
- Sleep Restriction Therapy - limits the time in bed in order to stay asleep throughout the night.
- Hypnotics (Sleep Aids) - when sleep deprivation is causing difficulties with your daily activities, and other sleep promoting behaviors don’t work (check with your doctor first).
Geocaching Gets Kids Outdoors
Geocaching is quickly becoming a fun way to entice kids outdoors and onto the trails for a high tech treasure hunt. And since it’s National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, now is a perfect opportunity to play this outdoor adventure game as a family.
Geocache (pronounced geo-cash) is a game of finding hidden containers or objects by using a handheld global positioning system (GPS) device.*
If you’re new to geocaching, select easier caches. As you gain experience using a GPS receiver, you can move up to more advanced treasure hunts. To get started, visit geocaching.com and register for a free account.
Tips for Geocaching with Kids
- Bring water, bug repellent, and hats on cache hunts.
- Bring a camera and notepad and pen (to write down numbers of trackable items).
- Integrate science, history, geography, or geology lessons.
Tips for Hearing Aid Care
May is Better Hearing and Speech Month, so it’s important to remember that hearing aids can significantly improve many seniors’ quality of life. Age-related hearing loss, known as presbycusis, is the most common chronic health condition for seniors. This condition is not curable and left untreated can lead to depression and isolation. If you are a caregiver for a senior, you can help them feel better by helping them choose hearing aids.
Blue KC offers all members access to exclusive hearing aid and battery savings with TruHearing, part of the Blue365® health and wellness discount program for members. With over 90 models and 400 styles of hearing aids to choose from, anyone who needs hearing aids is sure to find a model that works for them. Learn more by visiting the Blue365 TruHearing discount page and follow the steps to login and redeem the offer. Below are tips to care for hearing aids so they work properly:
- Avoid getting hearing aids wet. Remove before bathing, swimming and when it rains.
- Avoid getting the hearing aids dirty. Change the batteries or care for them.
- Protect them from heat sources such as direct sun, heaters, radiators or hair dryers.
- Keep them safe from pets.
- Regularly remove any built up wax or oil.