Comfort Food For Cool Autumn Nights
Cozy up to this low-fat Cajun gumbo with hearty flavor and low calories.
Ingredients: yields 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced turkey smoked sausage (about 6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, un-drained
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil.
- Add bell pepper, sausage, and garlic to pan; sauté.
- Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Stir in shrimp and beans; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until shrimp are done. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional Information: Serving size 1 cup
Calories 191; Fat 6g; Saturated fat 1.7g; Monounsaturated fat 2.7g; Polyunsaturated fat 1g; Cholesterol 97mg; Sodium 694mg; Protein 21.3g; Fiber 3.5g; Carbohydrates 13.2g
Download for Free
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City (Blue KC) wants to help you and your family stay up-to-date on immunizations and routine check-ups.
Download your 2014 Preventive Healthcare Guide today. An ounce of prevention leads to a lifetime of good health!
Eating Healthy For Less
Cravings can derail diets. Combine them with cost and it’s easy to forego the fresh fruit for a .99-cent bag of Fritos. We’ve listed some inexpensive healthy alternatives:
Almonds - $0.60 for a 1 ounce serving (20-25 nuts), about $5 per 8 ounce bag
Yogurt - about $1 per 6-ounce cup
Popcorn - $0.30 per ½ cup serving, about $1 per pound for plain kernels
Bananas - $0.20 to $0.50 per banana, about $0.60 per pound or $2 per bunch
Carrots - $0.50 each, about $2 per pound
* Prices are based on average store listings. For a complete list of healthy foods, visit Greatist.com.
Must Haves for the Medicine Cabinet
Fall is officially here and even though you may not be diagnosed with allergies, you might be reacting to the changing weather.
|Runny nose||Nasal Sprays|
|Itchy, watery eyes||Eye drops|
Most allergy medications can be purchased over the counter. As with taking any medication, it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor to make sure you choose the right one.
A Habit Takes 21 Days
Myth. The 21-day myth began as a misinterpretation of Dr. Maxwell Maltz’s work on self-image. Maltz did not find that 21 days of task completion forms a habit.* Rather, it’s a three phase formation cycle.
Three Phases of Habit Formation
There isn’t a specific equation by which to calculate how long it takes, but good habits require commitment.
- The Honeymoon. Right after an inspirational event that triggers an individual to start making positive changes.
- The Fight Thru. When old habits start to creep back in and positive habit completion isn’t yet formed.
- Second Nature. Getting in the groove. When positive habits have firmly taken hold.
Fitness Apps that Motivate
Give your workout routine a boost with a fitness app. Easy to download; these apps can help hold you accountable. Start tracking your progress and workout results today.
Running: Keep track of your run, walk, daily steps. Even have zombies chase you!
- Runkeeper, Zombies Run, Google Now
Workout Music: Keep your heart rate up with a variety of playlists.
- FitRadio, Spotify
Physical Data: Track your calories and even monitor your pulse.
- MyFitnessPal, Instant Heart Rate
Exercise Routines: Try different exercise routines or yoga poses at home.
- Nike Training Club, Pocket Yoga