Satisfy Your Chocolate Fix Without the Calories
Substitute canola oil for butter and you get a moist, chocolaty brownie for half the calories!
Ingredients: yields 25 small brownies
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup fat-free or light sour cream, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1/2 cup can be substituted with Splenda®
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup sifted cocoa
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, white, milk, or semisweet
- Powdered sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with canola cooking spray.
- Add canola oil, sour cream, corn syrup, sugar/Splenda, and vanilla to large mixing bowl and beat well.
- Add egg, egg substitute, and cocoa, beating well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add ingredients to batter. Stir in nuts/chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake in center of oven for 22 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.
Nutritional Information: Serving size 1 brownie
Calories 99 (30% from fat); Fat 3.5g; Saturated fat .5g; Cholesterol 8.5mg; Sodium 49mg; Protein 2g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Carbohydrates 16.5g
Gym Membership with Waived Enrollment Fee
Sign up today for the Healthways™ Fitness Your Way program and tailor your fitness plan to match your lifestyle. This is just one of many programs offered as part of Blue365®, brought to you by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City (Blue KC). Blue365 offers members the opportunity to sign up for a discounted gym membership today and waive the standard enrollment fee.
$25 A Month Per Person. NO Enrollment Fee* (LIMITED TIME!)
Sign a three-month commitment for access to more than 8,000 participating gym locations nationwide and program benefits like: daily email challenges, 24/7 access to online tools and discounts on health products, services and specialists.
Five Easy Steps To Sign Up
- Visit Blue KC's Blue365 website.
- Click Browse Deals then Fitness to choose the Healthways offer.
- View participating gyms and frequently asked questions.
- Login to redeem the offer.
- Use the promo code “BLUEKC25” to waive the enrollment fee.
You can also enroll by phone by calling 1-888-242-2060, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. in all U.S. time zones (be sure to mention the "BLUEKC25" coupon code).
* TAXES MAY APPLY. MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD TO PURCHASE. LIMITED TIME ENROLLMENT WAIVER (EXPIRES 9/30/2014). This offer is brought to you exclusively through Blue365 and cannot be redeemed at the fitness facility.
Blue365® offers access to savings on items that Members may purchase directly from independent vendors, which are different from items that are covered under your policies with your local Blue company, its contracts with Medicare, or any other applicable federal healthcare program. To find out what is covered under your policies, call your local Blue company. The products and services described herein are neither offered nor guaranteed under your local Blue company's contract with the Medicare program. In addition, they are not subject to the Medicare appeals process. Any disputes regarding these products and services may be subject to your local Blue company's grievance process. Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) may receive payments from Blue365 vendors. Neither any local Blue company nor BCBSA recommends, endorses, warrants or guarantees any specific Blue365 vendor or item.
Benefits of Family Dinners
In this fast-paced world, it can be difficult to find time in everyone’s busy schedules to sit down together. But studies have shown eating together as a family has significant health benefits.
Five Benefits of Family Dinners
- Relieves stress
- Offers better portion control
- Saves money
- Provides better nutritional options
- Improves happiness
Cost-Effective Workouts at Home
Did you know that your home could substitute as a gym but without the membership fees? You don’t always need a gym or special equipment to get a good workout.
At Home Fitness Activities - these household chores can raise your heart rate like a good cardio workout: mowing the lawn, raking leaves, shoveling snow, vacuuming and scrubbing floors.
Innovative Exercise Equipment - items at home can be used in a creative workout:
- On a slick surface, use paper plates or wash cloths under your feet in a push up position and slide feet toward your shoulders for a challenging ab workout.
- Use a sturdy bench on a non-slick surface for step ups.
- Use a chair for tricep dips.
These fitness items add some variety to your workouts at home: dumbbells, kettlebells, exercise DVDs and/or apps, fitness ball, jump rope and resistance bands/tubing.
Confusing Thirst for Hunger
It’s easy to confuse thirst with hunger, so before you reach for a snack, try sipping water first. Drinking water before a meal can help you consume fewer calories and maintain a healthy weight.
Ways to Get More Water
- Set reminders/alarms on your cell phone to remind you to drink water every hour
- Always carry a water bottle with you
- Add a low-calorie powdered flavor mix or use a water infuser with fresh fruits, spices and vegetables
- Drink milk and tea, but limit coffee and caffeinated drinks
- Eat soup or order a salad
- Snack on watermelon and cucumbers
Protect Yourself from Disease
A million deaths a year could be prevented if everyone routinely washed their hands.*
Good Hygiene Facts*
- Washing your hands can reduce respiratory infections by 16 percent.
- Washing your hands can reduce diarrheal disease by up to 50 percent.
- Alcohol gel hand sanitizers placed in classrooms reduces absenteeism rates up to 19.8 percent.
- Washing your face regularly can prevent the risk of trachoma - the leading cause of preventable blindness.