Fresh, Green and Gluten-Free
Not your traditional taco. Romaine, Iceberg or any fresh green sturdy enough to wrap around a half cup of taco filling will work with this light and tasty Mexican dish.
Ingredients: yields 8 servings
- 8 small iceberg or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 tbsp. prepared salsa
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 c. diced avocado
- 1 c. julienned jícama (see Tips)
- 1/4 c. finely diced red onion
Tips: Jícama is a round root vegetable. Remove the papery brown skin and the layer of fibrous flesh just underneath the skin before chopping.
- Wash lettuce leaves and cut in half crosswise.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add ground beef, season with salt and cook through.
- Whisk salsa, vinegar and cumin in a small bowl.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the salsa mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve in the lettuce leaves, topped with avocado, jícama and onion.
Nutritional Information: Serving size: 2 wraps
Calories 291; Fat 19g; Protein 4g; Carbohydrates 8g; Fiber 1.2g; Cholesterol 72mg; Protein 23g; Sugar 2g; Sodium 348mg; Fiber 4g; Potassium 579mg
Try a Bone Healthy Diet
Your body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium. If you do not get enough vitamin D, you are at greater risk of bone loss and broken bones. Since May is National Osteoporosis Month, try incorporating these calcium rich foods into your diet to help ensure you’re getting the nutrients you need to build strong bones.
Amount of calcium is estimated per cup (cooked).
- Collard greens, 265 mg
- Broccoli rabe, 200 mg
- Turnip greens, 200 mg
- Kale, 175 mg
- Bok choy, 160 mg
- Okra, 120 mg
- Broccoli, 60 mg
Get Fit with your Favorite Childhood Games
Traditional workouts such as walking or running might be a practical choice for getting physical activity at the level you need, but there are other alternative fitness choices that offer the same physical benefits with an added shot of fun.
Burn up to 150 calories in 30 minutes.
While you burn fat and calories, you’re also strengthening your core, back and hips.
Burn up to 340 calories in an hour
Because it requires bending over, hopscotch lets you work the large muscles in your back and legs.
Burn up to 200 calories in 20 minutes.
Jumping rope can be an intense cardiovascular activity. Most people burn about 100 calories for every 10 minutes of steady two-foot jumping.
Burn up to 230 calories in 45 minutes.
Dodgeball is a form of interval training, meaning it alternates periods of high-intensity motion with lower-activity movements or rest.
As with all workouts, remember to make sure the exercises you are performing are right for you. Check with your doctor before beginning a new exercise program.
Relief for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Long hours at keyboards, texting and other repetitive hand motions are often to blame for carpal tunnel syndrome. If you have been diagnosed with carpel tunnel, these remedies may help you find relief from wrist pain while at work or home.
Treatment For Your Symptoms
- Rest your wrist between activities and keep them straight or only slightly bent.
- Ice your wrist for 10 to 15 minutes, once or twice an hour.
- Try anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to relieve pain and reduce swelling.
- Wear a wrist splint at night to keep your wrist in a neutral position.
- When you type or text, keep your wrists straight, with your hands a little higher than your wrists.