Fast, fun and full of flavor
Spicy but not too spicy, these pork tacos are a pleasant change from your standard beef taco. Plus, they’re easy to make and meet the nutrition standards designed for a healthy lifestyle.Ingredients:
- 3 whole ancho chiles
- 3 whole pasilla chiles (or Anaheim chiles)
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 3 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed), cut into chunks
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Put the ancho, pasilla chiles and garlic in a bowl; add 2-3 tablespoons water. Microwave on high 2-3 minutes. Stem and seed the chiles; peel the garlic. Transfer the chiles and garlic to a blender.
- Add the chipotles, onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt and the oregano to the blender; puree until smooth. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat; add the chile sauce and fry, stirring, until thick and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and reduce until slightly thickened.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper and transfer to a large slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on high 5 hours.
- Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Shred the pork with 2 forks; season with salt and pepper. Serve the shredded pork in the tortillas, along with toppings.
Nutritional Information: per serving
Calories 399; Total fat 15g; Saturated fat 4g; Protein 51g; Total carbohydrates 14g; Sugar 5g; Fiber 3g; Cholesterol 147mg; Sodium 452mg
Lightened Waldorf Salad
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free apple-flavored yogurt
- Combine raisins and apple juice in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Let stand 2 minutes; drain.
- Combine raisins, celery, apple, and walnuts in a medium bowl. Stir in mayonnaise and yogurt.
Yields 6 servings (1/2 cup each). Calories per serving 93; Fat per serving 3.2g; Saturated fat per serving 0.2g; Monounsaturated fat per serving 0.7g; Polyunsaturated fat per serving 2g; Protein per serving 2g; Carbohydrates per serving 16.1g; Fiber per serving 1.6g; Sodium per serving 60mg
- 1/3 cup vanilla-flavored syrup
- 1 sponge cake
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Drizzle vanilla syrup over top of sponge cake. Let soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Arrange blueberries on top of cake, then place strawberries on top of the blueberries. Finish by generously spreading whipped topping over the fruit.
- Serve immediately, or if you prefer, chill in the refrigerator (no more than 2 to 3 hours), until ready to eat.
Calories 234; Protein 2.6g; Carbohydrates 38.4g; Sodium 102mg; Cholesterol 39mg
- 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
In a medium bowl, mash together the avocados, lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour for best flavor, or serve immediately.
Calories 262; Protein 3.7g; Carbohydrate 18g; Sodium 596mg; Cholesterol 0mg
Cilantro Lime Roasted Chicken
- Cooking spray
- 2½ pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and arrange in a single layer in the baking pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, honey, garlic, ground black pepper and salt (optional). Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temperature of the largest piece of chicken is 165 degrees.
Nutritional Information: (Serving size: ½ breast, 1 thigh or 1 drumstick + 1 wing)
Calories 130; Carbohydrates 4 g; Protein 18g; Fat 4.5g; Saturated Fat 1.2 g; Sugar 3g; Dietary Fiber 0g; Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 55mg; Potassium 165 mg